Higher Specialist Diploma
Advance your career and upgrade your IBMS membership
The IBMS Higher Specialist Diploma (HSD) is for biomedical scientists who are looking to progress to a more advanced role. It will enable you to demonstrate high levels of knowledge, skill and competence within your chosen discipline.
Assessed through a portfolio of experiential learning and four written examinations, it is a professional vocational qualification. To be awarded the HSD you must demonstrate that you have a high level of expert knowledge, skills and competence required to work at a senior level within your discipline. On achieving an IBMS Higher Specialist Diploma (HSD) you will be eligible to upgrade to a Fellow of the IBMS.
Who can apply for the Higher Specialist Diploma
you must also:
- have developed skills and theoretical knowledge to a very high standard and
- be performing an in-depth highly complex role, and are continuously developing clinical, scientific or technical practice within a defined field
- have management responsibilities for a section/small department or
- be largely involved in research and development
Please note that the recommendation to have five years post registration experience before undertaking an IBMS HSD has recently been removed. The Study Guide still states that requirement as that document has yet to be updated.
Higher Specialist Diploma qualification structure
The IBMS Higher Specialist Diploma is a professional vocational qualification assessed with a portfolio of experiential learning and a written examination.
It is available in the following disciplines:
- cellular pathology
- clinical chemistry
- leadership & management
- medical microbiology
- transfusion science
The IBMS Higher Specialist Diploma portfolio provides a focus for your training, with the portfolio's evidence requirements enabling you to structure your preparation and demonstrate your experiential learning for the examination.
Portfolio Submission in 2020
If you are submitting your portfolio in 2020 it must include the following:
- personal professional profile of 500 words (±10%)
- CPD activities showing how you have prepared for the examinations
- two case studies of 1000 to 1500 words each (±10%) based on specific clinical or management cases or issues
- two essays based on titles published below
- transcripts or slides from an oral presentation which you have delivered to a specialist or non-specialist audience
- three reflective statements of 1000 words (± 10%) on learning outcomes detailed in the study guide
You must submit:
- an electronic copy (to email@example.com) and
- a paper copy (to Examinations, IBMS, 12 Coldbath Square, London, EC1R 5HL)
of your portfolio of experiential learning by Friday 22 May 2020.
Portfolio Submission in 2021
If you are submitting your portfolio in 2021 - please follow the requirements stated on the following factsheet.
Higher Specialist Diploma assessment
The examination of an IBMS Higher Specialist Diploma involves two assessments:
- a portfolio
- a written examination
You must achieve a pass for the portfolio before you can progress to the written examination.
Your portfolio will be assessed again the portfolio assessment indicators listed in the IBMS Higher Specialist Diploma Study Guide. It will marked by two IBMS Advisory Panel Examiners in your specialist area.
The IBMS Higher Specialist Diploma written examination consists of four papers. From the 2020 exam series the structure of the four papers will be as follows:
You must answer all four short answer questions in 60 minutes.
This is the paper which is common to all HSD candidates, no matter their discipline. You will be expected to answer three questions in 120 minutes. One of the questions will be mandatory and pre-seen. This will be made available on the IBMS website at least three weeks before the first examination date.
You will be are expected to answer two out of five discipline-specific questions in 120 minutes.
You will be expected to answer questions about three discipline-specific case studies, one pre-seen and two unseen, in 120 minutes. The pre-seen case study questions will be made available on the IBMS website at least three weeks before the first examination date.
Higher Specialist Diploma candidate preparation days
Higher Specialist Diploma candidate preparation days include information on:
- what makes a good portfolio
- the examination structure
- a presentation from a successful HSD candidate and
- workshops on the generic and discipline-specific examinations with IBMS examiners
2 June 2020: Due to the virus outbreak and the required social distancing rules the date and location of the next HSD Candidate Preparation Day has not yet been set. Once a date and location is set those who were due to attend the event in April 2020 which had to be cancelled due to the lock down will be given priority to attend. If you are interested a future preparation event please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, membership number and the discipline that you are, or are thinking about, doing the HSD in.
Higher Specialist Diploma key dates
2020: Due to the virus outbreak the deadline dates for the submission of applications and portfolios were amended at the start of April. They are now:
- Closing date for applications - Friday 26 June (was Friday 1 May)
- Portfolio submission deadline - Friday 31 July (was Friday 22 May)
- Examination Dates - The HSD exams will NOT take place as initially planned on Monday 7 and Tuesday 8 September as the portfolios need to be marked first. A new date and the locations for the exams has yet to be set but it is hoped that we will be able to them in November or early December.
Portfolio submission 2020 Candidates will be required to submit their portfolio of experiential learning to the Head of Examinations at the IBMS by Friday 31 July. Hard copies should be sent to 12 Coldbath Square, London, EC1R 5HL.
Update (14 May 2020): All IBMS Head Office staff continue to work at home and therefore, even if it is ready to do so, please do not, for the time submit any hard copy portfolio to the IBMS. This page will be updated as soon as the IBMS office is open and therefore able to receive portfolios. The electronic version of the portfolio can however be submitted as soon as you are ready to do so via email to email@example.com
Higher Specialist Diploma fees and how to apply
The Higher Specialist Diploma (HSD) fee includes a space at our annual HSD candidate preparation day.
You can apply to undertake an IBMS Higher Specialist Diploma:
- before you begin your training or
- while you undertake your training and complete your portfolio of evidence
To apply for the qualification in the year in which you plan to submit your portfolio for assessment you will need to submit to the IBMS Examinations Team:
- payment of £346 along with
- a completed application form
Fees can be paid by:
- cheque made payable to "IBMS"
- credit or debit card payment by phone on +44 (0)207 731 0214 ext 142 or
- purchase order from your hospital Trust
You can also submit a copy of your application and payment by post to Examinations, IBMS, 12 Coldbath Square, London, EC1R 5HL. Once your application has been accepted you will be sent confirmation of your candidacy and a reminder of the submission deadline for your portfolio.
Higher Specialist Diploma essay titles for HSD portfolios
Portfolio Submission in 2021: The essay titles for the HSD portfolio for submission in 2021 can be found via the link above . If you are submitting in 2021 your two essay titles can come from either the 2020 or 2021 list.There is no requirement for at least one of your essays to come from the 2021 list.
Higher Specialist Diploma resources
You can find discipline-specific reading lists to support you in completing an IBMS Higher Specialist Diploma on our science reading page.
You can find articles and online resources to support you in completing an IBMS Higher Specialist Diploma in our resources section.
For further information on the HSD please refer to the following articles from the Biomedical Scientist:
Deferrals, withdrawals and mitigating circumstances
If you wish to defer, withdraw or highlight any mitigating circumstances please contact firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.