Higher Specialist Diploma
Advance your career and upgrade your IBMS membership with an IBMS Higher Specialist Diploma
The IBMS Higher Specialist Diploma enables biomedical scientists with 5 years post registration experience, who are looking to progress to a more advanced role to demonstrate high levels of knowledge, skill and competence within their chosen discipline.
To be awarded the Higher Specialist Diploma candidates must demonstrate that they have the knowledge, skills and competencies required to work at a senior level within their chosen discipline.
Who can apply?
In addition to:
you must also:
- have developed skills and theoretical knowledge to a very high standard and
- be performing an in-depth highly complex role, and are continuously developing clinical, scientific or technical practice within a defined field
- have management responsibilities for a section/small department or
- be largely involved in research and development
It is also recommended that you have 5 years post registration experience before undertaking an IBMS Higher Specialist Diploma.
The IBMS Higher Specialist Diploma is a professional vocational qualification assessed with a portfolio of experiential learning and a written examination.
The IBMS Higher Specialist Diploma is available in the following disciplines:
- cellular pathology
- clinical chemistry
- leadership & management
- medical microbiology
- transfusion science
The IBMS Higher Specialist Diploma portfolio provides a focus for your training, with the portfolio's evidence requirements enabling you to structure your preparation and demonstrate your experiential learning for the examination.
Your portfolio should include the following:
- personal professional profile of 500 words (±10%) focussing how your practice has been being developed to a higher specialist level
- CPD activities showing how you have prepared for the examinations
- two case studies of 1000 words each (±10%) based on specific clinical or management cases or issues
- two essays based on titles published below
- transcripts or slides from an oral presentation which you have delivered to a specialist or non-specialist audience
- three reflective statements of 1000 words (± 10%) on learning outcomes detailed in the study guide
You must submit:
- an electronic copy (to email@example.com) and
- a paper copy (to Examinations, IBMS, 12 Coldbath Square, London, EC1R 5HL)
of your portfolio of experiential learning three months before the date of the written examination.
The submission date will be posted on the IBMS website.
The examination of an IBMS Higher Specialist Diploma involves two assessments:
- a portfolio assessment
- a written examination
You must achieve a pass grade for the portfolio of experiential learning to progress to the written examination.
Your portfolio will be assessed again the portfolio assessment indicators listed in the IBMS Higher Specialist Diploma Study Guide.
Your portfolio will marked by two IBMS Advisory Panel Examiners in your specialist area.
The IBMS Higher Specialist Diploma written examination consists of four papers:
You must answer all 10 question short answer questions in 60 minutes.
You will be expected to answer three generic questions in 120 minutes.
One of the generic questions will be mandatory and will be made available ("seen question") on the IBMS website at least three weeks before the first examination date.
HSD Pre-seen Question 2017
You will be are expected to answer three out of six discipline-specific questions in 120 minutes.
You will be expected to complete three case studies, one pre-seen and two unseen, in 120 minutes.
The pre-seen case study will be made available ("seen case study") on the IBMS website at least seven days before the date of the first examination date.
- Closing date for applications for 2017 examinations - 5th May
- Portfolio submission deadline - 26th May
- Examination Dates - 4th and 5th September (Venues - University of Westminster and Glasgow Caledonian University and Ulster University Jordanstown Campus)
Portfolio submission 2017
Candidates will be required to submit an electronic, as well as a hard copy of their portfolio of experiential learning to the Head of Examinations at the Institute offices. The submission deadline is Friday 26 May 2017. Hard copies should be sent to 12 Coldbath Square, London, EC1R 5HL. Electronic copies should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Higher Specialist Diploma candidate preparation days include information on:
- what makes a good portfolio
- the examination structure
- a presentation from a successful HSD candidate and
- workshops on the generic and discipline-specific examinations with IBMS examiners
We will be holding another event in November 2017 (date to be confirmed). To book your place email email@example.com including:
- your IBMS membership number
- your discipline
The Higher Specialist Diploma (HSD) fee includes a space at our annual HSD candidate preparation day.
You can apply to undertake an IBMS Higher Specialist Diploma:
- before you begin your training or
- while you undertake your training and complete your portfolio of evidence
To apply for the qualification in the year in which you plan to submit your portfolio for assessment you will need to submit to the IBMS Examinations Team:
- payment of £325, along with
- a completed application form
Fees can be paid by:
- cheque made payable to "IBMS"
- credit or debit card payment by phone on +44 (0)207 731 0214 ext 142 or
- purchase order from your hospital Trust
You can also submit a copy of your application and payment by post to Examinations, IBMS, 12 Coldbath Square, London, EC1R 5HL.
Confirmation of application
Once your application has been accepted you will be sent confirmation of your candidacy and a reminder of the submission deadline for your portfolio.
You can find discipline-specific reading lists to support you in completing an IBMS Higher Specialist Diploma on our science reading page.
You can find articles and online resources to support you in completing an IBMS Higher Specialist Diploma in our resources section.
Deferrals, withdrawals and mitigating circumstances
If you wish to defer, withdraw or highlight any mitigating circumstances please contact firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
For further information about the IBMS Higher Specialist Diploma please contact email@example.com