Diploma of Expert Practice
Advance your career and demonstrate high levels of knowledge, skills and competence in your practice
The IBMS Diplomas of Expert Practice qualifications enable biomedical scientists with five years post registration experience, working in highly specialised areas of practice to demonstrate high levels of knowledge, skill and competence in their specialist subject area.
They are expert-level professional vocational qualifications assessed by a portfolio of experiential learning and a multi-component assessment, which varies depending on the qualification being undertaken.
The Diploma of Expert Practice is currently available in the following disciplines:
- Histological Dissection
- Mohs Histological Procedures
- Diagnostic Cytopathology
- Routine Haematology
- Ultrastructural Pathology
For further information about IBMS Diplomas of Expert Practice in other disciplines, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Who can apply for a Diploma of Expert Practice
To apply for an IBMS Diploma of Expert Practice you must:
- be a Member or Fellow of the IBMS
- be HCPC registered
- have a specified number of years post registration experience (see individual qualification guidance documents(
The laboratory where you plan to take the IBMS Diploma of Expert Practice should be a United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS) registered laboratory and have must have IBMS post-registration training approval.
If you are unsure whether your laboratory has IBMS laboratory approval for please check with your laboratory manager or training officer.
How to apply for the Diploma of Expert Practice
To apply for an IBMS Diploma of Expert Practice please submit to the IBMS Examinations Team:
- a completed IBMS qualifications application form including training officer/supervisor signature
- an IBMS Training logbook order form (for DEP in immunocytochemistry, mohs histological procedures and histological dissection)
- payment of £386 (plus any additional fees detailed above)
You can also submit a copy of your application and payment by post to Examinations, IBMS, 12 Coldbath Square, London, EC1R 5HL.
You can find qualification application forms and further information on how to apply on the relevant qualification pages.
Key dates for the Diploma of Expert Practice
DEP in Histological Dissection and Immunocytochemistry
- Closing date for applications - Friday 30 June 2023
- Portfolio submission deadline - Friday 28 July 2023 (but portfolios can be submitted from 1 July 2023)
- Written Examination - Monday 20 November 2023 (to be sat in own local hospital)
DEP in Non-Gynaecological Cytology
- Closing date for applications - Friday 17 February 2023
- Portfolio submission deadline - Friday 17 March 2023
- Written Examination - Tuesday 2 May 2023 (to be sat in own local hospital)
- Microscopy Examination date - Wednesday 21 to Friday 23 June 2023 (date will depend on number of candidates)
DEP in Routine Haematology
- Closing date for applications - TBC
- Portfolio submission deadline - TBC
- Examination date - TBC
Diploma of Expert Practice fees
It costs £386 (from January 2022), to undertake an IBMS Diploma of Expert Practice.
The Diploma of Expert Practice (DEP) in Immunocytochemistry, DEP in Histological Dissection and DEP in Mohs Histological Procedures all require a training logbook costing an additional £27.
Once a candidate has passed the DEP in Histological Dissection additional competencies (modules) cost £50 (no matter how many additional modules are being applied for).
Please submit to the IBMS Examinations Team:
- payment of £386 (from January 2022),
- a completed application form
Fees can be paid by:
- credit or debit card payment by phone on +44 (0)207 731 0214 or
- purchase order from your hospital Trust