Take the first major step in your career
IBMS Licentiate membership will give you a great start in your career as a biomedical scientist. By using the post-nominal title LIBMS, you will be recognised by your peers and be able to apply for professional registration with the Science Council.
We will provide you with opportunities to develop specialist knowledge to support your career development and provide a platform for you to network and build new professional relationships.
Benefits of being an IBMS Licentiate
- a monthly hard copy of The Biomedical Scientist in the post, including all the latest news from the profession and our new Learning and Development section
- access to the British Journal of Biomedical Science
- cover under our Group Medical Malpractice and Public Liability insurance
- recognition of your professional and academic achievements through the use of the post-nominal LIBMS
- save money through IBMS Additions discount scheme
- news, information and learning resources on the IBMS website
- our CPD ePortfolio will help you keep track of your HCPC registration requirements
- our journal based learning exercises will keep your research skills honed and your professional knowledge up to date
- gain access to our specialist qualifications
- become a Registered Scientist through the Science Council’s register
- IBMS CPD Officer and Registration Portfolio Verifier roles
- IBMS Region and Branch Officer and Council Officer roles
- become part of our social media community and forums
- bursaries, grants and prizes to support research, learning and development
For more details about the benefits of joining the IBMS visit our member benefits page.
Who can join?
A Licentiate of the IBMS must hold one of the following:
- UK Honours degree (BSc Hons) in a biomedical science related subject
- UK NARIC confirmed equivalent qualification
- HCPC Registration and one year's professional experience at Honours degree level
How to join
Download and complete an IBMS Membership Application form.
Send to email@example.com along with:
- copies of relevant qualifications certificates, and
- payment (IBMS membership fees + £20 registration fee)
If you do not have an honours degree but are HCPC registered and have one year's professional experience your lab manager will need to complete a supporting statement which you will need to send in with your application form and payment. If your laboratory manager is not an IBMS member, the supporting statement will need to be sent as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org from your laboratory manager’s work email address or on official letter headed paper.
For more information on joining the IBMS, or renewing or upgrading your membership, visit our FAQ page.
**Please note that the IBMS Membership Team are currently working from home and are therefore unable to process applications, reports and payments sent to our Coldbath Square Office. To ensure a timely response to your documentation we would encourage you to submit everything electronically to us via email - email@example.com
When joining, in providing the IBMS with the information requested you are consenting to its use as indicated in the IBMS Privacy Notice. Further information can be found on the IBMS website at https://www.ibms.org/privacy/