Deputy Editor of the British Journal of Biomedical Science
The IBMS invites applications for two Deputy Editors (DEs) to assist Andrew Blann, Editor, in the general day-to-day running of the journal.
The principal duty will be to appoint referees and ensure their report is received within two weeks. In 2018, 86 papers went out to referee, DEs may expect 2-3 articles per month.
The DE will have access to all members of the Institute Advisory Panels who are a rich source of referees, and may invite each other to referee. DEs will be free to appoint referees not on the Panels, i.e. those of their personal network, or members of the Institute who are not yet Fellows.
Other duties include writing a quarterly report for The Biomedical Scientist, and writing a Journal Based Learning (JBL) from articles within an issue (if possible), may be undertaken by the DEs in rotation. The DEs will together collaborate with the Editor in writing the annual ‘What have we learned’ editorial each Autumn.
There will be training provided for the editorial systems, and support provided through regular liaison with the IBMS and the publisher.
If you wish to discuss the role with Andrew Blann in person, he will be attending IBMS Congress 2019 and can be found next to the IBMS stand in the entrance area. Otherwise, he can be contacted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are interested in this position, and would like to apply please send your CV, with an accompanying statement of no more than 500 words saying what you feel you could bring to this role, to Sarah May, Deputy Chief Executive, at email@example.com by Monday 14th October.
Interviews will take place at Coldbath Square in October/November, and the successful applicants will begin their appointment on January 1st 2020. A modest honorarium will be provided.
- Considerable practical experience in NHS biomedical science
- Fellow of the IBMS
- Excellent organisational skills
- Experience in more than one discipline
- Higher degree
- Experience in research and publication Ability to navigate publishing software
- Ability to navigate publishing software
- Experience in teaching biomedical science in higher education
- Appoint referee(s) for each manuscript passed on from the Editor. Ensure the referee reports within two weeks
- Provide a summary of each issue for ‘The Biomedical Scientist’
- Generate a JBL on each issue (material allowing)
- Collaborate in writing the annual ‘What have we learned’ article
- Deputise for the Editor as required
Full training on the journal editing software will be given to the successful candidates.