Tax relief

If you are a UK taxpayer you can save money by claiming tax relief on your IBMS membership fees

IBMS membership fees are approved by the HM Revenue & Customs for tax relief.


How do I claim tax relief?

Please visit the HM Revenue & Customs website for further information.


Who can claim?

All IBMS members that are UK tax payers can claim tax relief on their IBMS membership fees.

If this is your first time claiming tax relief, you can claim for the current tax year and include a backdated claim for the previous four tax years.


Where can I find out how much I've paid in membership fees?

You can find information on IBMS fees from 2018 - 2023 here.

If you are still unsure and would like confirmation of membership fees that you have paid to the IBMS please email the Membership Team at or call us on +44 (0)20 7713 0214.

As a guide, members who are UK taxpayers can claim up to 20% of their IBMS membership fees.


Where do I send my claim form?

Please send your claim form to HMRC and not to the IBMS.


How much will I get back?

This will depend on a number of factors including how much your membership fees cost and your tax situation.

For basic rate taxpayers, the real cost of membership of the IBMS is: 

2023 Discounted Subscriptions Standard Subscriptions
Membership Grade Only for annual Direct Debit payers Allowance claimable (shown at basic tax rate) Standard subscription Allowance claimable (shown at basic tax rate)
Fellow £175 £35 £180 £36
Member £142 £28.40 £147 £29.40
Licentiate £101 £20.20 £106 £21.20
Associate £54 £10.80 £59 £11.80
eStudent N/A N/A N/A N/A
Retired £37 £7.40 £42 £8.40

 For information for years prior to 2023, download the Tax Allowance 2018 - 2023 form


I would recommend all IBMS members claim back the tax relief on their memberships. It's simple and quick to do. The IBMS will provide your receipt on request and you can submit your tax claim online. Mine took about a week from contacting the IBMS to depositing my refund.

Emma Victory

IBMS Member


Claim tax relief on your HCPC registration fees 

You may also be able to claim back tax on your Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) registration fees.

Details of your registration fees can be obtained by contacting the HCPC.