Becoming a Registered Science Technician
Professional registration as a Registered Science Technician (RSciTech) recognises those in technical roles delivering essential scientific services
RSciTech is a widely recognised benchmark of professional quality and excellence, demonstrating professionalism and competence in science.
Who can become a Registered Science Technician (RSciTech)?
To apply for professional registration as a Registered Science Technician (RSciTech) through the IBMS you will need to:
- be an Associate member of the IBMS
- hold a level 3 qualification or equivalent
- have one year's professional experience and
- be committed to Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
RSciTech Competency Statement Standards
As part of your application, you will need to demonstrate that your professional knowledge and skills meet the standards set out in the Science Council's RSciTech competency standards statement.
How to Apply
Not an IBMS member?
You must be a member of a professional body to apply for professional registration with the Science Council.
To apply for professional registration with the Science Council as a Registered Science Technician:
- find the right Science Council register for you - you will find information on the appropriate grade of IBMS membership for each register on this page
- download and complete an IBMS membership application form
- read our RSciTech application guidance
- download and complete our RSci application form, including:
- evidence of one years' CPD
- signature from a proposer who is a Chartered Scientist
- payment (IBMS membership fee + Science Council registration fee)
- send to email@example.com or Registered Science Technician, Institute of Biomedical Science, 12 Coldbath Square, London EC1R 5HL
We will assess your application and contact you to let you know whether your application has been successful.
If your application is successful we will issue you with a certificate, your name will be entered onto the Science Council's register of Registered Scientists and you will be able to use the designatory letters RSciTech.
To maintain your status as a professionally registered scientist with the Science Council you are expected to engage in continuing professional development (CPD) each year.
Find out about maintaining your Registered Science Technician (RSciTech) status on the Science Council's resources for Registered Scientists and Technicians page.
Support with your application
For further information or help with the application process contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 207 731 0214 ext 141.