Our Member membership is for specialists in their field looking to further enhance their practice
At this level of membership you will be able to use our designatory letters MIBMS after your name, demonstrating to your colleagues and peers that you have advanced scientific knowledge. We will also help you maintain the highest levels of professionalism as well as offer further opportunities to develop your technical and professional knowledge with our specialist qualifications.
Benefits of becoming an IBMS Member
Expand your knowledge with:
- higher and expert qualifications tailored to enhance your career progression
- The Biomedical Scientist and the British Journal of Biomedical Science
- all the latest professional news, information and learning resources on the IBMS website
- through the Science Council’s professional registration
- become a recognised leader in your field as an IBMS Advisory Panel Member and Examiner
- recognition of your professional and academic achievements through the use of designatory letters MIBMS
Develop your skills with:
- our CPD ePortfolio
- journal based learning
- IBMS CPD Officer and Registration Portfolio Verifier and Specialist Portfolio Examiner roles
- IBMS Region and Branch Officer and Council Officer roles
- cover under our Group Medical Malpractice and Public Liability insurance
- bursaries, grants and prizes to support research, learning and development
- saving money through our member discount scheme
Connect with biomedical science professionals and shape IBMS policy:
- through our region and branch network
- become part of our social media community and forum
- shape IBMS policy through our Member Engagement Group
Find out more about the benefits of joining the IBMS here.
Who can join?
To become a Member of the IBMS you must:
- hold an IBMS Specialist Diploma, Diploma in Biomedical Science, Diploma of Specialist Practice, or
- hold an equivalent level professional qualification (e.g. CPSM/IBMS discipline specific log book, STP, BBTS Certificate, BISHI Diploma), or
- hold a biomedical science related M-level academic qualification (e.g. MSc, MPhil, MBA), or UK NARIC confirmed equivalent and have two years professional experience in an area related to biomedical science.
To find out more about renewing or upgrading your membership visit our FAQ page.
How to join
Download and complete an IBMS Membership Application form.
Send to firstname.lastname@example.org along with:
- copies of relevant qualification certificates, and
- payment (IBMS membership fees + £20 registration fee)
You can also send your application by post to: Membership, IBMS, 12 Coldbath Square, London, EC1R 5HL.
For more information on joining the IBMS visit our FAQ page.
The biggest benefits of my IBMS membership are the educational opportunities and access to related resources that support me.
I have completed the IBMS Registration Portfolio, Specialist Diploma in Clinical Biochemistry and the Certificate of Expert Practice in Quality Management. These have furthered my knowledge and facilitated my professional development in various roles as a biomedical scientist.