Our Member membership is for specialists in their field looking to enhance their practice
Becoming an IBMS Member will support your professional development, develop your skills and experience, enhance your career and will help expand your knowledge of biomedical science.
IBMS will support you with guidance and connect you to our network of 20,000 biomedical science professionals.
Benefits of becoming an IBMS Member
Expand your knowledge with:
- higher and expert qualifications tailored to enhance your career progression
- The Biomedical Scientist and the British Journal of Biomedical Science
- all the latest professional news, information and learning resources on the IBMS website
- through the Science Council’s Chartered Scientist register
- become a recognised leader in your field as an IBMS Advisory Panel Member and Examiner
- recognition of your professional and academic achievements through the use of designatory letters MIBMS
Develop your skills with:
- our CPD ePortfolio
- journal based learning
- IBMS CPD Officer and Registration Portfolio Verifier and Specialist Portfolio Examiner roles
- IBMS Region and Branch Officer and Council Officer roles
- cover under our Group Medical Malpractice and Public Liability insurance
- bursaries, grants and prizes to support research, learning and development
- saving money through our member discount scheme
Connect with biomedical science professionals and shape IBMS policy:
- through our region and branch network
- become part of our social media community and forum
- shape IBMS policy through our Member Engagement Group
Find out more about the benefits of joining the IBMS here.
Who can join?
To become a Member of the IBMS you must:
- hold an IBMS Specialist Diploma, Diploma in Biomedical Science, Diploma of Specialist Practice, or
- hold an equivalent level professional qualification (e.g. CPSM/IBMS discipline specific log book, STP, BBTS Certificate, BISHI Diploma), or
- hold a biomedical science related M-level academic qualification (e.g. MSc, MPhil, MBA), or UK NARIC confirmed equivalent and have two years professional experience in an area related to biomedical science.
To find out more about renewing or upgrading your membership visit our FAQ page.
How to join
Download and complete an IBMS Membership Application form.
Send to firstname.lastname@example.org along with:
- copies of relevant qualification certificates, and
- payment (IBMS membership fees + £20 registration fee)
You can also send your application by post to: Membership, IBMS, 12 Coldbath Square, London, EC1R 5HL.
For more information on joining the IBMS visit our FAQ page.