Take your career to the next level
As an IBMS Member you will open the door to the upper echelons of the profession and have the chance to walk onto the national stage. We will offer you further opportunities to develop your technical and professional knowledge with our higher and expert qualifications.
You will also be able to use the post-nominal letters MIBMS, demonstrating to your colleagues and peers that you have advanced scientific knowledge.
Benefits of becoming an IBMS Member
- recognition of your professional and academic achievements through the use of the post-nominal letters MIBMS
- Chartered Scientist professional registration with the Science Council
- shape IBMS policy through our Member Engagement Group
- IBMS Region and Branch Officer and Council Officer roles
- IBMS CPD Officer and Registration Portfolio Verifier and Specialist Portfolio Examiner roles through our region and branch network
- become part of our social media community and forums
- higher and expert qualifications tailored to enhance your career progression
- become a recognised leader in your field as an IBMS Advisory Panel Member and Examiner
And, of course, continue to enjoy your usual membership benefits:
- The Biomedical Scientist
- British Journal of Biomedical Science
- Group Medical Malpractice and Public Liability Insurance
- CPD ePortfolio
- journal based learning
- IBMS Additions discount scheme
- bursaries, grants and prizes
- all the latest professional news, information and learning resources on the IBMS website
For more details about the benefits of joining the IBMS visit our member benefits page.
Who can become a Member?
A Member of the IBMS must hold one of the following:
- IBMS Specialist Diploma, Diploma of Specialist Practice
- equivalent level professional qualification (e.g. CPSM/IBMS discipline specific log book, STP, BBTS Specialist Certificate, BISHI Diploma)
- a biomedical science related M-level academic qualification (e.g. MSc, MPhil, MBA), or UK NARIC confirmed equivalent and have two years professional experience in an area related to biomedical science.
How to join
Download and complete an IBMS Membership Application form.
Send to firstname.lastname@example.org along with:
- copies of relevant qualification certificates, and
- payment (IBMS membership fees + £20 registration fee)
You can also send your application by post to:
12 Coldbath Square
For more information on joining the IBMS, or renewing or upgrading your membership, visit our FAQ page.
When joining, in providing the IBMS with the information requested you are consenting to its use as indicated in the IBMS Privacy Notice. Further information can be found here.