Setting up a new branch or discussion groups
If a member or group of members wish to propose setting up a new branch or discussion group the following steps should be followed.
- Establish that there will be sufficient interest to make it viable and check that its geographical/scientific areas are not already covered.
- New branches and discussion group proposals should be presented to the relevant regional committee along with a fully reasoned statement and evidence of consolation. In the case of new international branches or where no regional committee exists please email the Executive Head of Marketing and Membership.
- Proposals ratified by their regional committee should be forwarded to Membership and Marketing Committee (MMC) for discussion at their next meeting.
- If approved, MMC will ask that the new branch or discussion group hold an AGM to formalise arrangements.
- The IBMS Office will make the necessary financial and operation arrangements.
- If the recommendation is not approved MMC will write to the regional committee to outline the reasons.
Please note that although the same process would apply to establishing a new region the IBMS currently has twelve region Council members which is the maximum number allowed under Article 44 (ii) of the Institute’s Memorandum and Articles of Association.