Reach the peak of the profession with Fellowship
IBMS Fellowship procures our most advanced and high achieving members the post-nominal title FIBMS – which broadcasts that your specialist knowledge and high professional standards are recognised and verified.
We turn to our most active Fellows to help us develop and improve laboratory practice, education, training and patient care. They help to inform our public voice and promote the profession. In return, we can introduce them to the national and international stage.
Benefits of IBMS Fellowship
- use the post-nominal FIBMS to quickly communicate your specialist knowledge and high professional standards
- gain access to advanced qualifications tailored to enhance your career progression
- join the Science Council’s Chartered Scientist register
- IBMS CPD Officer and Registration Portfolio Verifier and Specialist Portfolio Examiner roles
- connect with biomedical science professionals through our region and branch network
- become a trusted voice in our social media community and forums
- become a recognised leader in your field as an IBMS Advisory Panel Member and Examiner
- IBMS Region and Branch Officer and Council Officer roles
- shape IBMS policy through our Member Engagement Group
- share your expertise and become an advocate for the profession as an IBMS Representative or Nominee
And, of course, continue to enjoy your usual membership benefits:
- The Biomedical Scientist
- British Journal of Biomedical Science
- Group Medical Malpractice and Public Liability insurance
- CPD ePortfolio
- journal based learning
- IBMS Additions discount scheme
- grants and prizes
- professional policies and guidance
- all the latest professional news, information and learning resources on the IBMS website
Who can become a Fellow?
A Fellow of the IBMS must hold one of the following:
- IBMS Higher Specialist Diploma, Diploma of Higher Specialist Practice,
- IBMS Diploma in Expert Practice in Non-Gynaecological Cytology as well as an IBMS Advanced Specialist Diploma in Non-Gynaecological Cytology
- IBMS Diploma in Expert Practice in Histological Dissection as well as an IBMS Advanced Specialist Diploma in Specimen Dissection
- equivalent level professional qualification (e.g. HSST)
- a biomedical science-related D-level academic qualification (e.g. PhD, Professional Doctorate), or UK NARIC confirmed equivalent and have five years professional experience in an area related to biomedical science
Alternatively, you can now apply to become a Fellow via the IBMS experiential route.
How to join
Download and complete an IBMS Membership Application form
Send to firstname.lastname@example.org along with:
- copies of relevant qualification certificates, and
- payment (IBMS membership fees + £20 registration fee)
For more information on joining the IBMS, or renewing or upgrading your membership, visit our FAQ page.
**Please note that the IBMS Membership Team are currently working from home and are therefore unable to process applications, reports and payments sent to our Coldbath Square Office. To ensure a timely response to your documentation we would encourage you to submit everything electronically to us via email - email@example.com
When joining, in providing the IBMS with the information requested you are consenting to its use as indicated in the IBMS Privacy Notice. Further information can be found on the IBMS website at https://www.ibms.org/privacy/