Our Fellow membership is for members working at the highest level of their profession
Becoming an IBMS Fellow will further your professional development, support you in your practice of biomedical science and enhance your skills and experience as well as your career.
IBMS provides professional guidance and connects you to our network of 20,000 biomedical science professionals.
Benefits of becoming an IBMS Fellow
Expand your knowledge with:
- advanced qualifications tailored to enhance your career progression
- The Biomedical Scientist and the British Journal of Biomedical Science
- all the latest professional news, information and learning resources on the IBMS website
- through the Science Council’s Chartered Scientist register
- become a recognised leader in your field as an IBMS Advisory Panel Member and Examiner
- recognition of your professional and academic achievements through the use of designatory letters FIBMS
Develop your skills with:
- our CPD ePortfolio
- journal based learning
- IBMS CPD Officer and Registration Portfolio Verifier and Specialist Portfolio Examiner roles
- IBMS Region and Branch Officer and Council Officer roles
- professional policies and guidance to support you in your practice
- cover under our Group Medical Malpractice and Public Liability insurance
- grants and prizes to support research, learning and development
- saving money through our member discount scheme
Connect with biomedical science professionals and shape IBMS policy:
- through our region and branch network
- become part of our social media community and forum
- shape IBMS policy through our Member Engagement Group
- share your expertise and become an advocate for the profession as an IBMS Representative or Nominee
Find out more about the benefits of joining the IBMS here.
Who can join?
To become a Fellow of the IBMS you must:
- hold an IBMS Higher Specialist Diploma, Diploma of Higher Specialist Practice, or
- equivalent level professional qualification (e.g. HSST), or
- hold a biomedical science-related D-level academic qualification (e.g. PhD, Professional Doctorate), or UK NARIC confirmed equivalent and have five years professional experience in an area related to biomedical science
To find out more about renewing or upgrading your membership visit our FAQ page.
How to join
Download and complete an IBMS Membership Application form.
Send to email@example.com along with:
- copies of relevant qualification certificates, and
- payment (IBMS membership fees + £20 registration fee)
You can also send your application by post to: Membership, IBMS, 12 Coldbath Square, London, EC1R 5HL.
For more information on joining the IBMS visit our FAQ page.