Vacancy: Deputy Editor of the BJBS
The Deputy Editor will work with the Editor and two other Deputy Editors to appoint referees and ensure their report within two weeks.
The journal publishes original research articles, reviews, Biomedical Science in Brief articles (short summaries of advances in biomedical science) and case reports. From January 2022 the BJBS is moving to open access with Frontiers. BJBS’s impact factor grew from 2.712 in 2019 to 3.829 in 2020 and now ranks 6th out of 29 journals in the Medical Laboratory Technology JCR category.
The Deputy Editor will have access to all members of the Institute Advisory Panels who are a rich source of referees and may invite each other to referee. She/He will of course be free to appoint referees not on the Panels, i.e. those of their personal network, or members of the Institute who are not yet Fellows. Other duties (writing a monthly report for The Biomedical Scientist and writing a JBL from articles within an issue (if possible) may be undertaken by the DEs in rotation. However, the DEs will together collaborate with the Editor in writing the annual ‘What have we learned’ editorial each Autumn.
Interviews will take place via MS Teams in January 2022, and full training on the journal software will be given on a subsequent occasion.
The position is for a period of three years and a modest honorarium will be provided.
· Considerable practical experience of biomedical science
· Excellent organisational skills
· Ability to navigate publishing software
· PhD/Doctorate in Biomedical Science
· Experience in more than one biomedical science discipline
· Experience of in vitro or in vivo mechanistic studies
· Prior journal experience preferably as an associate or deputy editor and/or serving on an editorial board
· Experience in teaching biomedical science in higher education
· Appoint referee(s) for each manuscript passed on from the Editor. Ensure the referee reports within two weeks
· On rotation with the other deputy editors;( i) provide a summary of each issue for ‘The Biomedical Scientist’( ii)generate a Journal Based Learning exercise on each issue (material allowing)
· Collaborate in writing the annual ‘What have we learned’ article
· Deputise for the Editor as required
If you are interested to apply, please send a CV, with an accompanying statement of no more than 500 words saying what you feel you could bring to this role. Applications should be sent to Lynda Rigby, Executive Head of Marketing and Membership by 4 January 2022 via email@example.com