CEP in Molecular Pathology
The IBMS Certificate of Expert Practice Distance Learning course in Molecular Pathology is delivered in partnership with the Ulster University.
It provides a theoretical introduction to molecular pathology and its application and is intended to support those who are already trained and experienced in a specific biomedical science discipline but who wish or need to extend their knowledge and understanding as the new molecular techniques are integrated into their work.
Molecular Pathology course content and assessment
The course comprises of six modules (two weeks study each) as follows:
- Introduction to Molecular Pathology
- Molecular Pathology Technology
- Introduction to Bioinformatics
- Constitutional Genetics
- Genetics of Haematological Cancers
- Genetics of Solid Tumour Cancers
More information on the learning outcomes for each module can be found here.
You can access course content through a designated area of the Ulster University's website, which includes candidate email and discussion forums.
IBMS Certificate of Expert Practice in Molecular Pathology is assessed through two reflective learning statements and an online examination:
- Your first reflective statement should critically capture how the discussion forums have assisted your learning during the course
- Your second extended reflective statement should show what you will change in your own practice as a result of doing this course and the steps you would take to do so
- The online examination lasts 75 minutes with 60 multiple-choice questions covering all the course modules
CEP Molecular Pathology course dates
The course dates for 2019 are:
|Applications for 2019 open||W/C 13 August 2018|
|Closing date for applications||7 December 2018|
|Log-in details available||First week of January 2019|
|Introductory Module||7 January|
|Module 1||18 January|
|Module 2||1 February|
|Module 3||15 February|
|One week break||1 March|
|Deadline for mid-point reflective statement||7 March|
|Module 4||8 March|
|Module 5||22 March|
|Module 6||5 April|
|Exam Result Notification||30 May|
|Examination (Re-sits)||6 June|
|Deadline for End of Course Reflective Practice Submissions||13 June|
|Results Released||2 July|
|Certificates Sent Out||W/C 8 July|
You will be awarded an IBMS Certificate of Expert Practice in Molecular Pathology on successful completion of the course.
CEP Molecular Pathology how to apply
You will need to submit to the IBMS Examinations Team:
- a completed Certificate of Expert Practice in Molecular Pathology application form
- your payment of £650
You can also submit a copy of your application and payment by post to Examinations, IBMS, 12 Coldbath Square, London, EC1R 5HL.
On the application form you are requested to briefly describe why you are applying to undertake the qualification. Your application will not be accepted or rejected based on what is stated instead this information is being requested simply to enable us to understand your level of experience and the motivation for applying.
Please note that places are limited to 60 candidates and that candidates will only be allowed to undertake one of the four distance learning courses at a time.