Develop your knowledge and skills in training and assessment
The IBMS Certificate of Expert Practice Distance Learning course in Training is delivered in partnership with the Ulster University. It will support you in developing your training skills and basic knowledge of training and assessment.
January 2019 update: The deadline for applications for the CEP in 2019 has now passed. We will start taking applications for the 2020 course in August 2019.Further information
Training course content and assessment
The course comprises of six modules (two weeks study each) as follows:
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Professional and Academic Qualifications
- Planning and Organising Laboratory Training
- Learning Techniques and Presentation Skills
- Assessment and Evaluation
More information on the learning outcomes for each module can be found here
You can access course content through a designated area of the Ulster University's website, which includes candidate email and discussion forums.
IBMS Certificate of Expert Practice in Training is assessed through two reflective learning statements and a multiple-choice examination:
- Your first reflective statement should critically capture how the discussion forums have assisted your learning during the course
- Your second extended reflective statement should show what you will change in your own practice as a result of doing this course and the steps you would take to do so
- The online examination lasts 75 minutes with 42 questions in total composed of 36 multiple-choice and six short answer questions covering all course modules.
Training course dates
The course dates for 2019 are:
|Applications for 2019 open||W/C 13 August 2018|
|Closing date for applications||7 December 2018|
|Log-in details available||First week of January 2019|
|Introductory Module||7 January|
|Module 1||18 January|
|Module 2||1 February|
|Module 3||15 February|
|One week break||1 March|
|Deadline for mid-point reflective statement||7 March|
|Module 4||8 March|
|Module 5||22 March|
|Module 6||5 April|
|Exam Result Notification||30 May|
|Examination (Re-sits)||6 June|
|Deadline for End of Course Reflective Practice Submissions||13 June|
|Results Released||2 July|
|Certificates Sent Out||W/C 8 July|
You will be award an IBMS Certificate of Expert Practice in Training on successful completion of the course
How to apply for training
You will need to submit to the IBMS Examinations Team:
- a completed Certificate of Expert Practice in Training Application Form
- your payment of £675 (for the 2020 course)
You can also submit a copy of your application and payment by post to Examinations, IBMS, 12 Coldbath Square, London, EC1R 5HL.
On the application form you are requested to briefly describe why you are applying to undertake the qualification. Your application will not be accepted or rejected based on what is stated instead this information is being requested simply to enable us to understand your level of experience and the motivation for applying.
Please note that places are limited to 60 candidates and that candidates will only be allowed to undertake one of the four distance learning courses at a time.
You can find articles and online resources to support you in completing an IBMS Certificate of Expert Practice in Training in our Resources section